Samstag, 24. November 2007

Sports Day


The parade

And the band

The teacher's soccer team.
I decided to translate my Blog to English, so it is not only for German speaking people. It will be basically the same as the German version, but I probably won’t translate the posts until now. OK, here we go:

Last Wednesday and Thursday was the Sports Day of my school (if anyone speaks Thai, this is my school’s site: http://www.dmj.ac.th/). Sports Day is one of the biggest events in Thai schools. The whole school had been preparing for it since last semester (in Thailand, it’s 1st Semester: May-Sep and 2nd: Nov-Mar). Most of the competitions were on Wednesday, every student played soccer, badminton, basketball, volleyball, table tennis, or even Boule/Petanque. My host brother Min (17 years and in 12th grade) won a gold medal in Badminton.


On Thursday, there was the BIG parade. Usually, the school day starts with the assembly of all students, singing the national anthem, praying together and one or more speeches by teachers, maybe some awards for students and maybe singing the school’s song or the King’s birthday song (he will turn 80 on December 5). But that day, it was a parade of almost all students. They were in five teams of colors (yellow, pink, green, orange, and blue, like the days of the week) and each team did their own part of the parade. My host brother carried the flag of his team, the yellow one. You couldn’t recognize some of the girls as they could finally take off their school uniform and dress up. On the soccer field, they then had some shows. After that, there was a soccer match between students and teachers. And since I’m German, of course I had to be in the teacher’s team. I guess they expected a little more skills from me, but our team still won 3-1. Maybe the students didn’t want to be mean to their teachers, but some in our team were really good.



After soccer, there were the runners. In the heat of Thailand, a few of them had problems and someone actually fainted. In the end, they had the awards for the best teams (pink won this time) and everyone sang “Auld lang Syne” together. Was a fun day!

Keine Kommentare: